, , , , , , , ,

Part of my reason for starting this blog was an attempt to stretch my writing and my thinking.  To further that idea, I’ve decided to take part in the Weekly Writing Challenges found over at The Daily Post.

This week I’m going to take the challenge easy and tell you about the best sound I ever heard.  Here is it:

Most of you probably know that I was pretty sick last year, but most of you don’t know that I almost died in April of 2011.  For those who don’t know the story here is the short version (YES, this really is the short version!!).

I started taking a new birth control pill on January 4th 2011.  I adored the new pill it treated my PCOS wonderfully, I was losing weight and I was very excited about trying to get pregnant in August. First 2 months went by swimmingly, I went on a camping trip the first of March and started having leg cramps and I noticed I was a bit out of breath walking about the State Park we were at.  Middle of the month I had a horrible case of chest congestion, felt like I could hardly breath, just walking from my car into my first floor office made me tired and extremely out of breath.  My doctor decided I had a bad case of bronchitis and put me on a 5 day course of steroids and antibiotics.

Finally on March 28th I still wasn’t better and could barely walk 5 feet without wheezing.  I got the nurse to squeeze me in to see the doctor, again.  I had been doing some research online and had diagnosed myself with congestive heart failure and/or a pulmonary embolism.  My blood pressure was way up too.  The doctor decided I needed to be admitted for IV antibiotics and more steroids. I finally said “You remember I’m on a birth control pill right? could this be a P.E.??” She didn’t think so, but to make sure I wouldn’t sue her, she sent me over for a CAT scan anyway.

Low and behold yes I did have a P.E. several actually, a LARGE on in my Pulmonary Artery and several smaller ones actually in my lungs.  I’m immediately, after waiting for them to move a dead guy, was moved into a private room and hooked up to 2 different IVs, oxygen & monitors.  I could tell both from my life long aquantance with nurses and my own medical foray that this was very serious.  By 1pm I was pretty sure I was going to die.

I called my sister, K, and told her which boxes in my closet should not be opened by my mother, and which things I wanted to be sent to my best friend.  After talking to her, I decided I had better have a talk with The Big ONE, and spent about 15 minutes in prayer talking with God about my failures, disappointments and sins.

Having done all I could, I finally gave in to the darkness that had been dogging my vision for the last hour.  If I died it it would be okay, there were still dozens of things I wanted to do, but for the first time in years I truly felt at peace.  The next thing I remember there is a blurry figure in white looking at me, but there is no sound, the lips on the face are moving, but I can’t hear anything.

Funnily a million thoughts all jump into my head at the same time. The important ones stuck with me: Oh hell, we got it wrong, we do go to heaven right after we die. Why is God wearing Magenta lipstick? Okay, my chest still hurts, I can’t be dead.

And then I hear it, Beep…Beep…Beep I’m still alive, really.  Finally the voices of the nurse and her two lab vampires register. They were trying to decide if they need to call some sort of code on me since I wasn’t responding to them. They made me do another round of tests and I promised not to pass out on them again, which I didn’t.

I ended up spending a week in the hospital on bed rest while we waited to see if the PEs would dissolve or if they would have to be surgically removed.  I also ended up having a hysterectomy in August instead of getting pregnant.  But that is another post 🙂